Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Christmas Stockings!!

I am so excited today! You all know that I am the Queen of Procrastination and that somedays I wear that title quite proudly. As a mom, I have had to think through that a little and at least have some foresight with some things - like today! I ordered our Christmas Stockings!

I ordered them from http://www.specialtiesinwool.com/index.html. I cannot wait for them to get here! Growing up, I had a stocking knitted by second cousin, or great aunt, or something, with Katie and 1977 knitted right into it. Krissie and Tyler each got one when they were born too. I have been looking since the year Tom and I got married for the same style so that he could have one that matched mine. Kathy Hendricks located the pattern for me, but it is totally above my skill level! In the meantime, my stocking has continued to be hung each christmas at my parent's house since Tom did not have a matching one (an aside - why do I care so much about matching?) I did not mind leaving it there because Santa still finds me at my parent's house. Tom and I just hung random, not matching stockings, that i bought at Beverly's or something. I did not always remember to hang them and Santa only remembered to come some years. This year, now that we have Hayes and we finally feel like a real family, I asked my mom for my stocking back. I was going to send it to a knitter to duplicate it for Hayes and Tom. Guess what? She decided she was going to keep it!


That stocking is such a huge part of my childhood Christmas memories that I wanted to make sure Hayes had his very own special stocking. And I wanted Tom and I to have ones that match. For that reason, I understand my mom wanting to keep the three of ours up on her fireplace.

I found this place with stockings that I really like. The company looks pretty stable, so I am crossing my fingers that they will be around long enough to make matching or complementary stockings for future kids, if any. I am having Hayes and 2007 put on his stocking and then Tom's will say Dad and mine will say Mom. (Is that weird that we will have stockings? My parents always did . . . )


The lady that knits them told me they are running about 6 weeks lag time, so I won't get them until right after Thanksgiving. I am just really proud of myself for thinking about this before it was too late and having to buy Hayes' stocking at Beverly's too! Hayes' stocking is the Santa one, mine the Gingerbread, and Tom's the Christmas tree!

No comments: